Sunday, 9 September 2012

George Cooper Research Project

A Research Project on a past Chairman of the 1st Vale of Pickering Scout Group, This is preporation for a display at the Scout Hut (back of NYMR carpark) on 13-15 October 2012.

Georges Medal of Merit now kept in the archives
His Medal of Merit Award knot
George owned a large collection of scouting
item most of which are kept in the archives

George H Cooper started his scouting life in 1923 when he joined the 43rd Salford Wolf Cub Pack, when George was 11 he moved up to the 2nd Eccles scout troop in 1924 until 1929 when George moved up to the 2nd and 5th Eccles Rover scout crew during his time at Eccles he took a warrant to become a senior scout master, up until 1949 George and the Cooper family moved to Urmston when he took the role of Senior Scout Master at 2nd Urmston Scout Group. In 1951 he went to Gilwell Park to do his wood badge training when he completed the training and George was awarded his Wood Beads in the same year of 1951 the same year George became the Group Scout Master of 2nd Urmston in 2nd July 1952 the role of District Scout Master for Urmston and Flixton. 1951 until 1959 he was the assistant warden of Dunham Forest Scout Camp site Mrs Elizabeth Cooper (George’s wife) occasionally ran the site shop then known as a providor, in 1954 until 1956 he became the Scout Master at 10th Salford (Dock Mission). In 1962 George became a Senior Scout Master for the second time at the 1st Cadishead up until 1970 when he was appointed Assistant District Commissioner for South Anglesey then George was promoted to assistant County Commissioner for South Anglesey until 1973. In 1973 until 1977 George became District Commissioner for South Anglesey of the district of Gwynedd. During this time George became a BP Scout Guild organiser and George was also on the organising team for the Duke of Edinburgh’s award scheme. In April 1976 George was awarded a long service award and the Medal of Merit. In 1978 George became the chairman of the south Anglesey scout district council. In 1982 having moved to Pickering where he settled up until his death in 1987 he was an active member and the chairman of the 1st Vale of Pickering Scout Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment